The perfect recipe for cat lovers this halloween!
These cut out cookies in the shape of black cats are the perfect halloween snack! Enjoy responsibly in your group of six this year!
The Hummingbird Bakery Recipe book is my go to for all things sweet - it is brilliant and full of so many delicious recipes. To buy a copy head here.
Read on for the recipe!
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 280g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 400g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Bar of dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3 and line four baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Put the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk like I do) and cream until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well, scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add the flour, salt and cream of tartar and mix well, but don't overmix. The dough should be light, soft and easy to handle.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Now is the time to cut out your cats with your cat biscuit cutters!
- Arrange the cookies on the prepared baking trays and bake in the preheated oven for about ten minutes. Check them regularly to make sure they are not burning. The cookies should be very light golden on the outer edges and paler in the centre.
- When you are happy that they are cooked through, remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly on the trays before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, make your topping. Snap your dark chocolate into pieces and melt over a bain marie.
- Spoon dark chocolate into a piping bag and apply to the cookies.
This recipe is taken from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook by Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers
Text © Tarek Malouf and The Hummingbird Bakers. Octopus books.